Thursday, June 5, 2008

Our Patio

Rodger and I wanted to make our backyard more enjoyable. We had the idea (thanks to my dad) of putting in a little patio. It was quite the process more then we anticipated. We started Saturday afternoon and completely finished Tuesday. It took hours to make the grass go away by getting to the root and then shaking off the dirt and pulling out the grass. We got the materials that night. We had to get 324 of the cobblestone (which by the way, while Rodger was digging dirt out to level the ground, I carried all of them from the car-took a lot out of me). We also had to get 20 bags of Paver Base and 20 bags of Paver Sand (which I too carried most of:)) We love the results and are very happy it's over! Tonight will be our first night of using the patio set with some friends and were very excited. Our next project-making a Picnic Table-should arrive soon on the Blog. Come on over and have a BBQ with us-we'd love it!
Here is the before picture
The many stones I had to carry-that's just half of them.
After the grass was taken off-Rodg leveled it out the best he could.
Now you lay the Paver Base (rocks) and smooth it out afterwards. This helps so when it rains, it won't make the patio shift.
Myself enjoying a rest from carrying all the stones and bags.
This is what comes after the Paver Base-Paver Sand. This is where it really becomes smooth and flat. You take a 2 by 4 to help flatten it out.
After you've laid the stone-you pour left over Paver Sand and fill in the cracks, then sweep it with a broom.
The finished project!
Here we are so happy it's complete!

8 comments:

Ju and Brack said...

Looks cute Cort! I want to see your house someday! Oh and I love the background on your blog, so cute!

Chelsea Covington said...

Nice job guys! I knew you were working in your yard but I had no idea how huge your project was! We will have to take you up on a BBQ!

Mindi said...

The patio looks wonderful! I love summer BBQs. We'll be there in 8 hours (ha ha, I wish)

The Muhlesteins said...

That looks so good, way to go you guys.. so adventurous! You'll have to teach Michael and I a thing or two. haha love it though, we'll have to come see it.

Jessica said...

Good job guys, it looks awesome. Home improvement projects always take longer than expected but they are worth it. We would love to have a BBQ and then I could actually see the inside of your cute house.

Chris and Brooklyn said...

That looks really neat! Your house is beautiful! I am so glad that you are in primary! I hope you love it! I do!

Jacki said...

Great job, it looks beautiful!! Love you, Aunt Jack

Joan said...

Alot of hard work. I love doing projects, especially if you work on them together. You are quite the entertainers. The barbeque was alot of fun. Good food too. Thanks!