Tuesday, September 22, 2009

LOTOJA-She really makes us look bad...

This was written by Chels and I helped her post it on our family blog. I wanted to show how awesome my mom is too.

Mid summer my Mom decided to do this: http://www.lotojaclassic.com/

The Thursday before the race I went with her to register (I was the widowed wife to an avid hunter, didn’t have much else to do). The line had died down quite a bit, only an hour wait. J The buzz of “bikers” (who I usually swear at when they try to take over the road) was actually quite interesting to hear. Their enthusiastic adrenaline had clearly already clicked in. Everyone was asking things like:

“How many times have you done this?”

“Are you on a team or individual?”

“What leg do you have?”

At the registration table they filled out forms, wrote down emergency contacts, and last but not least…got their leg stamped (a requirement, rather than a wristband). She was ready to go!

On Saturday, September 12th my Mom loaded up her bike with her team and headed to Logan, Utah for the race. Logan (LO) to (JA) Jackson Hole. Some crazies do this individually, 206 miles! My Mom did this on a team of 5 women.

She took the second leg, which was rumored to be the most difficult portion of all. 46 miles uphill, sounds like a blast right? “I like hills” she kept saying all through her training. CRAZY! As usual, she ended up doing a better than fantastic job. Her total time was 3:06 and she was the 8th woman to finish in her segment. The first place girl was only 8 minutes ahead of her. It was such a great accomplishment, with only a few months of training. I think it motivated her quite a bit for next year. Great job Mom, we love you!!!

PS – I know this is late, but better now then never!
Her team mates. She is the oldest by 11 or so years.


Way to go Mom! I hope I look half as good as you do at your age!

1 comment:

Joan said...

Okay, remind me not to give my camera to you again! You could have left that last picture out. Anyway, thank you for recognizing me and my craziness of being a biker! Love you!